Petplan policies can cover most accidents, injuries and illnesses your pet might suffer, even dental disease, prescription medication, and cancer treatment.
There is an annual deductible after which claims are paid, with a reimbursement percentage (or co-pay), or you can elect a per condition deductible in order to keep your premium lower. As with most pet insurance plans, routine care is not covered, but Petplan does cover holistic and alternative therapies which other companies may not. For your convenience, plan options include monthly, quarterly or annual payments.
Even your older pets (age 10 or older) can be insured, so go to the website today and get a free quote.
Petplan Pet Insurance Reviews
How do I know I can trust these reviews?
- There are close 1 865 verified Consumer Affairs reviews.
- We request the contact information of all reviewers to confirm their identity.
- To maintain the site’s integrity, we use smart software to help us out.
- Again, moderators will investigate all reviews before posting to ensure quality and usefulness.
Not sure how to choose?
Get expert byuing tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox
Not sure about Petplan?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you
Petplan Company Information
Year Founded: 176
Address: 3805 West Chester Pike, Suite 240
Phone: (800) 237-1123
ZIP Code: 19073
City: Newtown Square
Country: United States
Price Range: from $20 per month
When choosing a pet health insurance provider, it is vital to find a plan that works best for the pet owner and one that will serve the insured pet well throughout his or her life. Pet insurance providers have been in existence for the past 30 years, but just recently, several key players have risen to the top and come to the forefront. Petplan is one such pet insurance provider.
Petplan Pet Insurance-North America is a Pennsylvania-based company first established in 2003 by Chris and Natasha Ashton. The US location is a sister company of Petplan UK and also has established locations in Australia, Brazil, Canada, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Germany, and Spain. The idea for Petplan was conceived as a result of an incident with Ashton’s cat, Bodey, who became quite ill after the family’s move to the US for graduate school. The illness resulted in a $5,000 veterinary bill. The Ashton’s came up with a plan for a pet insurance company – then named PAWS – to ensure fellow pet owners would not have to endure the same financial challenge when it came to vetting bills for their beloved pets.
Today, the company employs over 200 pet lovers and insures thousands of pets. The corporate headquarters houses an indoor dog park with a multi-level slide, a foster cat room designed to help cats find their forever homes, and the company’s walls are filled with photos of clients’ pets, who are considered “family.”
Petplan Pet Insurance Coverage
Petplan has one comprehensive insurance plan available with coverage options from $2,500 to an unlimited amount. Petplan offers its furry clients insurance coverage for life and there is never any enrollment fee to apply for a policy. Their insurance plan offers 90% coverage and reimbursement of veterinary bills. As with most pet insurance companies, Petplan does not cover routine visits, preventative visits, elective procedures, and pre-existing conditions. However, the company does offer dental coverage, coverage for holistic care, as well as coverage for chronic and hereditary conditions.
Coverage is specifically for cats and dogs and offers “Tooth-to-tail” protection for animals from six weeks old to well into the senior years and beyond. Primarily available to cats and dogs, the policy covers such expenses as:
- Diagnostic treatments
- Prescription medications (pre-existing condition prescriptions excluded)
- Imaging (MRI, CAT scan, ultrasound)
- Surgery and rehabilitation
- Referral and specialist treatment
Pet Plan Claim Form
With the concern for their pet’s health well-taken care of, a pet owner can then turn their attention to the next concern: filing the insurance claim.
Petplan requires that veterinary invoices be paid in full prior to filing a claim. Through the claim process, the client will then be reimbursed for up to 90% of the initial out-of-pocket cost. Claim adjusters on staff are fully-trained veterinary technicians and can speak and understand the vet’s language. This knowledge affords them the ability to process claims swiftly and accurately so pet owners can receive the fullest reimbursement amount possible.
For those who would like the peace of mind of knowing they will be reimbursed, Petplan also offers pre-authorization on veterinary expenses. Clients can obtain the pre-authorization form online and need to obtain their veterinarian’s signature along with documentation on required treatment and treatment costs.
Clients can submit claims either by phone, online or through the Petplan Claims app. The app, available for iOS and Android devices, provides the opportunity for pet owners to file their claims quickly and paper-free. In addition to the claim form, pet owners need only submit photos of the paid-in-full invoice and their pet’s medical records. Once the required documentation is submitted, clients can then follow the progress of their claim through the portal. Most claims are settled and monies are reimbursed in about 5 to 14 days of initial claim submission. There is never any dropped coverage or increased rates just for filing “too many claims.”
Philanthropy and Awards
Petplan partners with many different philanthropic organizations including the North Shore American Animal League, PAWS Philadelphia Animal Welfare Society and Pets for Patriots, to name a few. It also offers discounts on their policies for registered medical services pets, veterans and serving military members.
- In addition, Petplan also organizes a charitable fund designed to promote the health and welfare of the nation’s animals and awards funding to a host of well-deserved causes for everything from non-invasive research on life-saving treatments to donations for rehoming charities.
- Petplan has been the honored recipient of many awards and recognitions. In 2013 they were recognized as Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year in the Greater Philadelphia Retail & Consumer Products Category. They made Future 40’s Smart CEO’s listing and they were a three-time winner for Excellence in Marketing & Communications from The Communicator Awards. Their publication, Fetch! was honored with a Stevie Award for Best In-House Publication from The American Business Awards.
- Petplan’s customer care staff is available 24/7 to address pet owner needs and questions. Pet owners can get a free quote on their expected deductible and monthly payment through Petplan’s website.
We are dedicated to distributing reviews that are based on a person's experience and opinions of their insurance company. It's not uncommon for reviews to be "reviewed" to ensure there is no offensive material. However, no review is a representation of our company and employees.