Apart from pre-existing conditions, Hartville Pet Insurance covers accidents, hereditary conditions, behavioral problems, dental diseases, dental cleanings, screenings, vaccines, and other illnesses. Their monthly preventive care plan caters to minor and severe illnesses of your pet equally.
Unlike other insurance companies, they have viable reimbursement options. Similarly, their Accident-Only Coverage covers the exam fees and diagnosis cost. As of now, their complete coverage is just $2.65.
It is time for the “master” to care for his or her dog – learn more about Hartville Pet Insurance to get a reasonable quote.
Hartville Pet Insurance Reviews
How do I know I can trust these reviews?
- There are close 1 865 verified Consumer Affairs reviews.
- We request the contact information of all reviewers to confirm their identity.
- To maintain the site’s integrity, we use smart software to help us out.
- Again, moderators will investigate all reviews before posting to ensure quality and usefulness.
Not sure how to choose?
Get expert byuing tips about Pet Insurance delivered to your inbox
Not sure about Hartville Pet Insurance?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Pet Insurance for you
Hartville Company Information
Year Founded: 1997
Address: 1208 Massillon Rd. Suite G 200.
Phone: +1 800-799-5852
ZIP Code: 44306
Country: United States
Price Range: from $51 per month
Part of the Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group, Hartville Pet Insurance is one of the oldest and largest pet insurance providers in the United States. Founded in 1997, it partnered with the ASPCA in 2006. Hartville aims for fast and easy sales and customer service, with an online Member Center tool and app that's great for on-the-go dog and cat owners. Accident, injury, hereditary, behavioral, and even preventative care coverage is available, with simplified policy plan options to suit any pet owner's budget.
Hartville Available Coverage
Hartville Pet Insurance offers basic accident-only coverage, comprehensive accident and illness coverage, and add-on preventative care coverage for your dogs and cats. Here are your options:
1. Complete Coverage
Hartville offers a Complete Coverage plan to help you cover the cost of care and treatment for common and minor health problems, as well as rare and serious conditions. This comprehensive plan covers accidents, illnesses, hereditary conditions, and behavioral issues.
Accident Coverage Includes
- Bite wounds
- Broken bones
- Lodged foreign objects
- Toxic ingestions
Illness Coverage Includes
- Digestive problems
Hereditary Conditions Coverage Includes
- Eye disorders
- Heart disease
- Hip dysplasia
Behavioral Issues Coverage Includes
- Destructive chewing
- Excessive licking
- Fur pulling
- Tail chasing
Covered Care and Treatment Include
- Alternative therapy
- Cancer treatment (including chemotherapy and radiation treatment)
- End of life expenses
- Intravenous (IV) fluids and medications
- Medical supplies
- Microchip implantation
- MRI or CT scans and x-rays
- Poison control consultation fees
- Prescription food (to treat a covered condition)
- Prescription medications
- Stem cell therapy
- Supplements (to treat a covered condition)
- Surgery and hospitalization
- Tooth extractions
- Veterinary treatment (including examinations, consultations, and lab tests)
2. Accident-Only Coverage
If your pet were to run into the street, eat something sharp, or have a disagreement with another animal, Hartville's Accident-Only Coverage plan can help you cover the costs. Coverage includes the same accident coverage benefits as the Complete Coverage plan, including exam fees and the costs of diagnostics and treatment for accidents.
3. Add-On Coverage
You have the option to add Preventative Care coverage to either your Complete Coverage plan or your Accident-Only Coverage plan. This add-on coverage reimburses you for a percentage of certain services that help protect your pet from illness. Hartville offers two versions, Basic Preventative Care and Prime Preventative Care.
Basic Preventative Care Includes
- Annual exam
- Canine DHLPP or feline FVRCP vaccination
- Canine heartworm or feline FELV test
- Canine rabies and/or canine lyme or feline FIP vaccination
- Dental cleaning
- Fecal test
Prime Preventative Care Also Includes
- Basic Preventative Care coverage
- Blood test
- Canine bordetella or feline FELV vaccination
- Health certificate
- Heartworm/flea prevention
Premium, Deductible, and Plan Limit Options
Premium Can Be Paid
- Monthly, quarterly, or semi-annually installments (transaction fee applies)
- Annually (transaction fee is waived)
Your choice of an annual deductible of:
Your choice of an annual limit:
- From $5,000 up to unlimited
Coinsurance / Reimbursement Percentages
Your choice of:
- 10% coinsurance / 90% reimbursement
- 20% coinsurance / 80% reimbursement
- 30% coinsurance / 70% reimbursement
After your coinsurance and deductible are met, Hartville Pet Insurance reimburses you for a percentage of the covered cost of your pet's care and treatment. The claim can be submitted directly by you or by your veterinarian on your behalf, in which case the company can pay directly to your vet. It's easy to submit and track your claim with Hartville's online Member Center tool.
Type of Coverage Model
- Direct Payment (optional)
Submit a Claim Through
- Online Member Center
- Postal mail
- Within 30 Days of Claim Submission
- Available for dogs and cats
- At least 8 weeks old, no upper age limit
- 24/7 online enrollment access
Modification and Cancellation
- Plans can be modified when renewing policy
- Plans come with a money-back guarantee (if cancelled in 30 days)
- No wait to use Preventative Care coverage
- 14 days for accidents and injuries
- Pre-existing conditions
- Breeding costs
- Cosmetic procedures
- Wellness and routine care (unless purchased as add-on coverage)
Hereditary and Congenital Conditions Coverage
- Standard part of Complete Coverage accident and illness coverage
- Pre-existing conditions excluded
- Coverage subject to deductible and coinsurance
- Available as add-on coverage with Preventative Care
- No waiting periods
- Includes set annual reimbursement amounts
- Not subject to deductible or coinsurance
Exam Fee Coverage
- Standard part of Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage plans
- Tooth extractions covered by Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage plans
- Teeth cleaning available as an add-on with Preventative Care
Spaying and Neutering Coverage
- Available as an add-on with Prime Preventative Care
Alternative, Holistic, and Behavioral Coverage
- Alternative therapy covered by Complete Coverage and Accident-Only Coverage plans
- Behavioral therapy available with Complete Coverage plan
- Primary care veterinarian of your choice
- Emergency hospitals
- Specialty clinics
- No veterinary network limits
Memberships, Awards, Ratings, and Licenses
- Member of NAPHIA, the North American Pet Health Insurance Association
- Partner of ASPCA, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
- Part of the Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group
Awards and Ratings
- Winner of NorthCoast 99 “Best Places to Work” for 3 consecutive years
- Two awards from the New Jersey Business & Industry Association for employer and community service
- Rated one of the 2019 top 10 pet insurers by Consumers Advocate
- Licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia
- Underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company
We are dedicated to distributing reviews that are based on a person's experience and opinions of their insurance company. It's not uncommon for reviews to be "reviewed" to ensure there is no offensive material. However, no review is a representation of our company and employees.